We all know that plastic is bad for the environment. It takes hundreds of years to decompose, and in the meantime, it’s polluting our oceans and harming wildlife. You may not know, however, that many beauty products contain plastic. Microbeads, for example, are a type of plastic that is often used in exfoliants and facial scrubs. These tiny beads end up in our waterways, where they are ingested by fish and other marine life. So what can you do to create a plastic-free beauty routine? Keep reading to find out!
Why Go Plastic Free?
There are a lot of reasons to go plastic free, but here are some of the most important ones:
1. Plastic pollution is a huge problem. It’s estimated that there are 5.25 trillion pieces of plastic floating in the world’s oceans, and that number is only increasing. This pollution is harmful to marine life, and can even end up in our food supply.
2. Plastic is made from fossil fuels, which means it’s contributing to climate change.
3. It takes centuries for plastic to break down, so all that plastic we’re producing is just going to sit in landfills for generations.
4. Many plastics contain harmful chemicals that can leach into the environment and cause health problems for animals and humans alike.
5. Single-use plastics are particularly problematic because they’re used for such a short time before being thrown away. This creates a lot of waste and contributes to the pollution problem mentioned above.
What Effect Does Plastic Have on the Environment?
As many as 8 million metric tons of plastic waste enter the world’s oceans each year. This is the same as one garbage truck worth of plastic being dumped into the ocean every minute!
Plastic pollution is a major global problem that is having a devastating effect on our environment. Plastic takes hundreds of years to break down and when it does, it releases toxic chemicals into the soil and water which can be harmful to wildlife.
Animals often mistake plastic for food and when they eat it, they can suffer from malnutrition or even choke to death. Plastic pollution also causes problems for marine life when animals become entangled in plastic debris or ingest microplastics.
All of this plastic pollution has a serious impact on our environment and it’s something we need to do something about. By making some small changes in our daily routine, we can all help reduce the amount of plastic that ends up in our oceans.
What Changes Can I Make?
When it comes to plastic-free beauty, there are a few changes you can make to your routine to help reduce your impact. Here are a few ideas:
1. Use glass or metal containers instead of plastic ones. This includes everything from shampoo and conditioner bottles to makeup containers.
2. Avoid products that come in single-use packaging. Instead, opt for refillable or reusable options.
3. Seek out natural, plastic-free alternatives to conventional beauty products. For example, try using coconut oil as a moisturizer or making your own DIY facial scrub with ingredients like baking soda and oats.
4. Be mindful of the other impacts of your beauty routine, such as water usage and energy consumption. Try switching to more efficient appliances, like an energy-saving hair dryer, or cutting down on showers to save water.
5. Finally, remember that reducing your reliance on plastic doesn’t have to happen overnight – take baby steps and make changes as you’re able!
Use Refillable Products
When it comes to beauty products, there are a lot of options out there that come in single-use packaging. However, there are also many refillable products available that can help you reduce your plastic waste.
One way to find refillable products is to look for ones that come in glass or metal containers. These can be refilled multiple times and will last much longer than their plastic counterparts. Another option is to find products that come in powder form, as these can often be refilled as well.
There are also a number of companies that offer refillable versions of their products. For example, Lush Cosmetics offers refills of their shampoos and conditioners, and Kjaer Weis offers refills of their makeup products.
If you’re not sure where to start, try looking for refillable versions of the products you use the most. This could include your shampoo, conditioner, body wash, moisturizer, etc. Once you have a few refillable products in your routine, you’ll be well on your way to reducing your plastic waste!
Stop Using Face Wipes
If you’re using face wipes to clean your face, it’s time to stop. Face wipes are made of plastic, which means they’re not biodegradable and they pollute our environment. There are plenty of other ways to clean your face that are much more sustainable.
Try using a reusable cloth instead of a face wipe. You can wet it with water or use a natural cleanser. If you need to remove makeup, use an oil-based remover on a cotton pad or cloth. These alternatives are all gentle on your skin and the planet.
Make Some Make-up Swaps
There are a few easy swaps you can make to start ditching plastic from your beauty routine. First, switch to natural bristle brushes instead of synthetic ones. These are available online or at the majority of health food stores. Second, ditch disposable cotton rounds and switch to reusable ones made of muslin or bamboo. Third, invest in a good glass water bottle and use it to refill your favorite products like toner or face mist. Finally, swap out your plastic makeup bags for ones made of linen or canvas.
These simple swaps will help you drastically reduce the amount of plastic you use in your beauty routine. Not only is it better for the environment, but using natural products is also better for your skin!
Isn’t Plastic Recyclable?
You might be surprised to learn that not all plastic is recyclable. In fact, many types of plastic can only be recycled a few times before they become too degraded to be recycled any further. This means that even if you diligently recycle your plastic waste, it’s still likely that some of it will end up in a landfill.
So what’s the best way to reduce your reliance on plastic? The answer is simple: use less of it in the first place. Here are a few tips on how to create a plastic-free beauty routine:
1. Ditch disposable wipes and cotton pads. Instead, invest in reusable alternatives like washable face cloths or muslin squares.
2. Say no to single-use plastics like straws, cotton buds, and applicator sticks. Instead, choose reusable or compostable substitutes.
3. Choose products that come in glass or metal containers rather than plastic ones. Not only are these more environmentally friendly, but they’re often better for your skin too!
4. Make your own DIY beauty products using natural ingredients like oils, honey and beeswax. Not only will this save you money, but it’ll also help you avoid unnecessary packaging waste.
Note: Make sure to dispose of beauty salon waste in an eco-friendly manner or hire a waste collection service.
A plastic-free beauty routine is possible with a little effort and creativity. By making your own products, switching to sustainable packaging, and ditching single-use plastics, you can create a beauty routine that is good for you and the planet. What are you waiting for? Start making the switch today!